University of Minnesota Extension
www.extension.umn.edu
612-624-1222
Menu Menu

Extension > Water Resources > How to get off the impaired waters list

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

How to get off the impaired waters list

Fundamentals of lake processes

A workshop on how to improve the health of lakes and remove them from the impaired waters list

February 22, 2018
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Dakota County Extension and Conservation Center, 4100 220th St W, Farmington, MN

Pre-workshop webinar: February 16, 10-11 a.m.; Post-workshop: March 5, 10-11 a.m.

Register now for this one-day workshop on improving the water quality of impaired lakes using nutrient criteria.

Cost: $95 / $35 students -- includes lunch and materials
For natural resource managers, technicians, lake managers, homeowner associations and early career professionals.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is detecting more impaired waters as it continues its 10-year plan to study all 80 major watersheds in the state. 40 percent of Minnesota water bodies are impaired. The other 60 percent need protective strategies to stay healthy.

Workshop presentations and case studies will cover:

  • Fundamentals of lake processes and terms (limnology, pre-workshop webinar)
  • Why lakes get listed for nutrient and eutrophication indicators  
  • How to improve the water quality of listed lakes 
  • Lake management techniques that lead to de-listing a lake 
  • How community stormwater permits impact lakes
  • How to keep lakes from getting listed
The course includes pre- and post-class webinars, demonstrations of water quality sampling equipment and additional resources.

For more information on Minnesota's impaired waters list visit the MPCA site

Contact

Shahram Missaghi, miss0035@umn.edu, 651-480-7759
Larisa Jenrich, jenri001@umn.edu, 651-480-7732

Download a flyer for this event (PDF 201K).
Check the Water Resources calendar for more community and professional courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  • © Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy